Workday Financial Management Report-as-a-Service (RaaS) is a feature that exposes reports as web services.
Torii syncs the list of expenses from your Workday Financial Management configured report.
Torii can sync multiple unique Workday Financial Management reports to the same account.
Torii syncs transaction data up to one year prior to first connection date.
- You need to log in to Workday with an administrator account which allows you to create a custom report.
- You need to create the custom report, Use this template to guide yourself properly:
Workday Financial Management Template
To pull the spend data from Workday, Torii runs the report and fetches all the data exported in the report. Torii will not have access to any data that is not exposed in the report.
Step 1: Log in to the Workday tenant using an administrator account.
Step 2: Identify the Workday fields to be used for Torii’s Expense template
Torii needs the following data for each expense item:
- Merchant name - Merchant or Vendor against which the expense was created
- Workday ID - Global unique identifier for each expense
- Amount - Amount paid for the expense item
- Payment date - Date when the expense was paid
- Memo - Memo or description for the line item
- Category - The GL code for the expense item
- Currency - Currency for the amount
- User email - Email of the user filing the expense
- Last update - To always look at the relevant expenses
- Please note, the field names in Workday could vary per organization. You can use any field that is correct for your organization, but will need to map the column names to these names using the column heading overrides for the integration to work correctly.
Step 3: Identify the Spend categories that have items for Software
Login to your Workday instance and see the list of all the categories for expenses. Find the ones that are software related. Keep this list handy for further steps.
Step 4: Create a Workday Custom Report
Create a custom report in Workday with that contains all fields you have identified in Step 2.
There are a few fields which will have values specific to your setup. These are the fields which should be adjusted to fit your organization’s needs:
- Spend categories:
- The Subfilters tab has a condition for Spend Category (Expense Item as Worktag).
- This is prefilled with a few categories.
- Please select the categories which your company uses for identifying software-related spend. Please work with the finance team to verify that all (and only) software-related spend is included in this selection.
- Prompts will have a ‘Company’ field. Please select your company in this field.
- Please note that this is a required field and will be included in the report url generated.
- Merchant field:
- The column ‘Business Reason’ (under 'Columns' tab) is used to identify the vendor for the expense.
- If your company does not use this field, please select a different field which will identify identify the vendor for the expense.
- If no such field exists, you can use the ‘Line Memo’ field. Please update the field only and do not change the column heading overrides.
Follow these steps in the Workday to create the custom report:
- Search for and open Create Custom Report task
- Add a report name. We recommend including 'Torii' in the name, so you know what the report is for.
- Add the required fields based on the template provided.
- Update filter for the Spend Category.
- Navigate to the 'Advanced' tab.
- Click on ‘Enable as Web Service’ checkbox (Make sure it is checked).
- Click OK to save the report.
- We recommend trying to run the report to make sure it is configured correctly and the output includes all the fields desired.
Step 5: Create a Workday Integration System User
This is an example of how to create an integration System User for Torii.
- Search for and open the ‘Create Integration System User’ task.
- Create the user, configure the integration system user details, and save the configuration. Take note of the username and password configured.
- Make sure that you leave the Require New Password at Next Sign unchecked and leave the Session Timeout Minutes with its default value of 0.
Step 6: Create a Security Group and assign the Security Group to the ISU
This is an example of how to create a security group for Torii.
- In the Search field, type 'Create Security Group', and then click Create Security Group task.
- On the 'Create Security Group' page, from the Type of Tenanted Security Group dropdown menu, select Integration System Security Group (Unconstrained).
- In the Name field, enter a name, like: 'torii-security-group'.
- After the Security Group is successfully created, you will see the Edit Integration System. Security Group (Unconstrained) page, where you can assign members to the Security Group.
- In the Group Criteria section, add the new ISU, created in step 5, to the Integration System Users list of this security group.
Step 7: Configuring domain security policy permissions
In this step you'll activate the security policy changes for this group and user.
- In the 'Search' field, type and select 'Domain Security Configuration'.
- In the Domain field, add all relevant domains in which there are expenses you want to see in Torii, then select OK.
- Select the 3-dots symbol (...) next to the domain name and select Actions > Domain > Edit Security Policy Permissions (picture for illustration). You will need to do this for each domain selected.
- On this page, under 'Integrated Permissions', add the security group created in step 6 (’torii-security-group’) and select the checkbox in the 'Get permission' column. You will need to do this for each Domain selected.
- Select OK, then Done on the next screen to complete the configuration.
- As a reminder: Repeat these actions for all the domains whose fields you want to import from Workday to Torii.
- If an alert to Activate Pending Security Policy Changes is displayed, do this after all domains have been updated for the security changes to take effect immediately (see step 8).
Step 8: Activate security policy changes
- In the Search field, type 'Activate Pending Security Policy Changes', and click that task.
- For auditing purposes, you will be asked to enter a comment. Enter any comment you see fit, and then click OK.
- On the next screen, check the Confirm checkbox and click OK.
Step 9: Update the Custom Report Owner
Update the owner of the Custom Report created in Step 4 to the Workday Integration System User created in Step 5.
Step 10: Identify the Custom Report URL
To find the URL of the Custom Report created in Step 4, follow these steps:
- Go to the custom report created.
- Click the orange ellipsis next to the report name and select 'Web Service' > 'View URLs'.
- Click the Workday JSON link (this should load the report in JSON format).
- Copy the URL for this report, to submit to Torii.
JSON endpoint example:
Step 11: Check your credentials and report
- Make sure the copied report URL includes ’format=json’.
- Test the report URL by pasting it into a new browser session. An alert box should pop up and ask for the ISU username/password credentials you have configured.
- If the file lists all users and values for all fields visible to the report user, this means the report was created and configured successfully. Otherwise, check if you entered incorrect credentials or if expected fields from Workday are not showing up in the report. Please also check that the report user (the ISU created in step 3) has appropriate permissions to read all included fields.
Step 12: Connect Workday HCM integration to Torii
- Go to the Torii Integrations page and click on the Workday Financial Management tile.
- Click Connect.
- Enter the Username of the Integration System User created in Step 5.
- Enter the Password of the Integration System User created in Step 5.
- Enter the Report URL from Step 10.
- Click Connect.
Q: I am interested in expense data that is older than what Torii brings in from this integration. Is there a way to get more than one year of data synced into Torii?
A: While we we only sync a year of expense data upon connection of this integration in Torii by default, we can bring in data from any time point. If you are interested in getting data from an expanded time frame, please contact Torii's support team and we will be happy to help you with this. Please note, syncing data for a lengthy time period can bring back a lot of data, which can take a significant amount of time to sync (up to a several days, depending on the period of time back you are interested in).